Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Why you should join a Kin (also known as going back to KINDERGARTEN!)

LOTRO has put in a really cool social aspect to the game.  Obviously it's an MMORPG, so there are lots of other players online, and sometimes they will ask to fellowship with you if it looks like you're running the same quest.  This is great, but it doesn't develop a social connection because as soon as the quest is finished, you all go on your merry ways and probably won't hook up with those people again.  This is why I really like being in a Kinship.  There are several Kinships which are started by a player or a group of players.  This gives any player that is a part of the Kin the benefit of having other players to ask for help, to skirmish with, or just run around and have fun with.  Most Kinships do their recruiting as they meet other players in the game.  Each Kinship has it's own set of values, some are more strict about who they recruit, but many are open to anyone who would like to join. Read more to hear about the Kin I joined.


I've told you that my friend Kai got me started playing LOTRO several weeks ago now.  So, I already had a connection to the Kin he's in.  He's an officer of a Kinship called KINDERGARTEN.  It was started by a group of three players, who are all super nice and really awesome.  The idea is for Kin members to have a place where they can ask anyone to help or share resources in any way they can.  They also want to promote helping any player outside the Kin that you can, kind of like being back in Kindergarten for real. "Share your toys and be nice to everyone!"  We want our Kin to be known for helping others as much as we can.  I can say from personal experience that my Kin members (especially the leaders Loran and Sage, and of course Kai) have been super helpful, giving me anything from advice to weapons and items to crafting mats to running quests with me to help me level up, and I've tried to return the favor whenever I can.  It's really one of my favorite parts of the game.  We've even done nothing but run around being silly, it's quite fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment